Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Active Hope


Reading: Ruth 3-4
 Hope: To cherish a desire with anticipation; to trust; to desire with expectation of obtainment.
            
I can’t remember a time in my life when I have not struggled with fear.  As a child, I hated bedtime and remember sneaking into my parents’ room in the middle of the night, because I was scared.  I would get nervous when I moved to a new school because of the uncertainty of who I’d eat lunch with or play with at recess, but I soon realized that I didn’t need to wait around for someone to ask me to join them, I could initiate friendships on my own, even as the new girl.

When I’m active, I am less likely to fear.  When I am focused on others, rather than my own insecurities, I am more likely to notice the blessings around me, and in turn bless others.  

I love that Ruth took care of Naomi. She trusted that she was in the right place, but she didn’t just wait for Boaz to redeem her.  She hoped – she  desired with expectation and she approached him and asked him to restore her dignity and vitality – to redeem what was lost.
            
I believe God calls us to wait in hope – whether we are waiting for a change in our current situation or we are waiting to be more like Him; regardless of whether we waiting for something here on earth or for His second coming, we should be waiting in hopeful anticipation.  And as we wait, we can rest in his presence, but I am so thankful that he doesn’t require that rest be passive.  

I can still become weighted down with fear … I can lose sight of the work that Jesus in doing in me and those around me.  Fear of the unknown can paralyze me, but I am thankful that God does not wait for me to overcome my fears alone.  He invites me – he beckons you – to follow Him; to walk with him.  He calls us his own and he invites us to action.

“You are Mine.  I will be with you when you pass through the waters, and when you pass through the rivers, they will not overwhelm you.  You will not be scorched when you walk through the fire, and the flame will not burn you” (Isaiah 43:1-2)

And as we walk through difficult seasons of life he instills in us hope.

“Look at the birds of the sky: They don’t sow or reap or gather into barns, yet your heavely Father feeds them.  Arent’t you worth more than they?” (Matthew 6:26)

God is still in the business of redemption.  He created us for relationship with Him, and He brings about healing and reconciliation and renewal so that we can know the hope that only comes from Him. 
           
            

No comments:

Post a Comment